Advisories Procedure for NCA Online Exams in August
As per the NCA Advisory posted on our web site June 15, 2020, the Federation of Law Societies of Canada will introduce online delivery for all exams offered by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) scheduled in August 2020. Despite the switch to online delivery, the other characteristics of the NCA exam are unchanged. They are long response form, and they are open book. You will have three (3) hours to complete each exam. Consideration for special accommodations are processed on an individual basis.
In August 2020, NCA exams will be available to you through a secure, browser-based platform that locks down your computer. The exam will be remotely proctored. That means a proctor will verify your identification and monitor you through audio and two cameras, your computer webcam and the camera in your mobile device, as you write the exam. If that device is a smart phone, only the camera must be functioning. All other features and applications of the phone must be disabled during the exam.
The security and integrity of the exams, which will be administered through a partnership with Paradigm Testing and MonitorEDU, are a priority for the NCA. Both firms follow industry best practices in compliance with standards defined by international accrediting bodies such as ISO/ANSI 17024.
In order to complete your exam(s) online, you will require:
• COMPUTER: Laptop or desktop computer and monitor equipped with a webcam, with an operating system of Windows 7 or higher, or Mac OSX 10.15.x or higher. The webcam is to allow the proctor to monitor your room during the exam.
• BROWSER: Recent version of Google Chrome (50+). Google Chrome will be loaded during pre-exam configuration if it is not detected on your computer.
• MOBILE DEVICE: Either a smart phone or tablet with an Android 4.1 or higher, or (Apple) iOS 6.0 equipped with a camera. This is to allow the proctor to do a location check.
• INTERNET CONNECTION: A reliable internet connection is required with a minimum upload speed of 1MB/second. Wi-fi connectivity will be required for the mobile device.
• ELECTRICAL EXTENSION CORD: minimum 6 feet or 2 meters long, available in case the proctor determines your work station should be re-arranged.
If you have questions about the technical requirements at any time, please contact the MonitorEDU live chat line, available 24 hour/7 days a week.
More instructions regarding the NCA online examinations, including the hardware and internet bandwidth test, and additional details of the room requirements will be provided on our website Notices will be sent to you when website updates have been made to the exam page.
Public health measures regarding social distancing remain in place, and therefore, the NCA is currently unable to schedule future in-person examinations. As a result, online delivery of NCA exams will continue until further notice.
However, the NCA has contingency plans in the event that public health measures regarding physical distancing are sufficiently reduced to allow for in person exams. We will continue to monitor the situation and make decisions about test center operations that comply with government and local authorities, and do not jeopardize the well-being of NCA candidates, or those supervising any exam site. Please check the NCA web site for advisories and updates. The NCA will also be providing additional information through emails to all those registered for the August 2020 exam period.
For questions about the online exams technical requirements, please contact the MonitorEDU live chat line. Questions about exam schedules and cancellations should be addressed to [email protected].