Exam outlines and samples
NCA applicants study on their own for the NCA exams (i.e. without help from the NCA). You are also responsible for getting your own study materials and developing your strategy for studying. If you need help, you can hire a private tutor or some other study service.
The NCA provides several ways to help you prepare for NCA online exams. One is a practice exam. The practice exam, allows you to try out the functions or operating features of our online exam platform. The questions you see are examples only. They will not appear in an actual NCA online exam. This test site is available to you at any time.
The NCA offers sample exams for each subject. The text Sample Exam next to each subject links to a PDF that includes samples of questions asked. Exam outlines (also known as a syllabi) for each subject are revised as required. We may update them from time to time without notice. At the end of each document is a list of publishers and resources you can contact to buy or access the texts you need. You may also buy them from a law school bookstore, or other bookstore, or find them online. If you prefer, you may even borrow the material from a law library. To access the outline (syllabus) for an exam, click on the exam title below.
For help on how to write our exams, we suggest you review the NCA guide How to Answer Fact-based Law Exam Questions and our sample exams.
EXAM OUTLINE / SYLLABI SAMPLE EXAM
- Business Organizations (January 2019 version) Sample Exam
- Canadian Administrative Law (April 2023) Sample Exam
- Canadian Constitutional Law (January 2023 version) UPDATED Sample Exam
- Canadian Criminal Law (November 2022 version) UPDATED Sample Exam
- Canadian Professional Responsibility (March 2023 version) Sample Exam
- Civil Procedure (2022 version) Sample Exam
- Commercial Law (August 2023 version) Sample Exam
- Contracts (April 2023 version) UPDATED Sample Exam
- Evidence (February 2022 version) Sample Exam
- Family Law (AB) (2023-2024 version) Sample Exam
- Family Law (BC) (2023-2024 version) Sample Exam
- Family Law (ON) (2023-2024 version) Sample Exam
- Foundations of Canadian Law (2023 version) UPDATED Sample Exam
- Property (2021 version) Sample Exam
- Remedies (2022 version) Sample Exam
- Taxation (2022 version) Sample Exam
- Torts (February 2022) Sample Exam
- Tips for Writing NCA Torts Exam
- Trusts (January 2020 version) Sample Exam